Thursday, January 15, 2009

Waiting for Vincent


"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream"

Vincent Van Gogh

I finally finished it. It took me a couple of months to paint it (it is pretty big, 30"X40")and almost a year to start it, but I did it. I got the idea of doing a (very humble) homage to Van Gogh at the beginning of last year, after I finished reading his biography. I picked the sunflowers, because they were his favorite flowers (they are one of my favorites, too). The reason they are on the ground dying is obvious (I think): they died waiting for him, but he never came. Van Gogh was one of those rare geniuses whose work speak to generations, like Mozart or Victor Hugo, but he left this world all too soon, and I cannot help but wonder what else more could he have achieved, had he not killed himself so young?.

So, this is my humble homage to him, the master Vincent Van Gogh




3 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Hi Marilyn,

This is just stunning. I think it's one of my favorites. What a wonderful tribute and such a beautiful work of art.

Great work.

Kathleen

Miriam Cutelis said...

Love this painting! love your blog!

can't wait to see more.


Miriam

MarilynM said...

Thank you very much, to the both of you! It's always nice to know there are people out there with whom to share this voyage.