Friday, May 23, 2008

Oblivion is full of memories

"Oblivion is full of memory"

-Mario Benedetti

This watercolor started as a means of illustrating an idea: Where do forgotten memories go?. We all have cherished memories of special times; special anniversaries, birthdays, loved ones, songs, holidays...but, what of all those day to day things we took for granted? our everyday ride to school, or the neighbor we met everyday in the elevator, all those little ingredients of routine we never pay attention to, but that in the end molded us into who we are today.All these tiny details, forgotten, ignored...like ghosts in some distant corner of our minds, waiting to be remembered, recovered...like little gems.

I found these little bottles in a tag sale one Sunday afternoon, they were just sitting there, ignored by everybody, dusty and old. Did they ever hold any treasures? some golden elixir? how long ago were they forgotten? how did they end up on a table by the side of the road, $1 for all of them? None of these questions have answers in my mind. They made me think of forgotten things, ideas, moments, people, pieces of my life. Somehow, they became the vessels where all that was forgotten was being kept; little gems inside old bottles. Will I ever get them back in their pure form?.

If I try to look at them through the glass, they are forever changed by the distortion and the color of the glass, just like time and experience, changing forever our perception of the past. Can I recover them, or are they lost forever?... and if I have lost them, have I also lost the part of myself attached to them?



No comments: