Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dancers in the dark


I started experimenting with lino cuts a while ago,however, I always used them for prints and nothing else (with less than satisfactory results), so they ended up in the back of the closet, unused, until a couple of days ago, when I had one of those "what if...?" moments and decided to use them as a complement of something else, instead of alone in a composition.

This is the result of my first experiment. I embellished the dancers a little with conte crayons, just to give them a more tridimensional feel (they were very flat), and also to introduce more contrast and make it easier to distinguish the shapes better, apart from that this is the result of (my very messy process of) monoprinting and one of my linocuts.

I must say this is the most fun I've had in a while, and it feels so good to let go and start creating something light and colorful, without thinking, judging or analyzing it. So, this is probably the first of several to come (I do have a stash of unused linoleum somewhere, waiting to be carved...).

3 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Love it. How great to experiment and this turned out so beautiful. The colors are so dramatic. Can't wait to see more!

Apple said...

It's beautiful. So lively!!!

Peggy said...

This is breathtakingly beautiful

Peggy