Friday, August 15, 2008

Waiting for Peace

Well...what can I say? This was going to be a completely different painting, until...I started watching the news one morning before painting. Need I say more? Thousands of people dying in diferent parts of the world, waiting for politicians to sign an agreement, or a cease fire, or for a side to win. Meetings and meetings of international relations committees weighing the political (and of course economical) consequences of their actions...I think of Rwanda, and even worse, Darfur, Georgia, Russia, Iraq, Afghanistan (these are just the most famous conflicts right now)...we read about them in the papers and watch our 10 daily minutes of international news in CNN (before they move on to more pressing matters, like Paris Hilton's fake campain ad or which politician cheated on his wife this time). In the end, all these human beings , living in anguish and fear in a war zone become nothing more than statistics. The soldiers who give their lives are just another number to be manipulated in an election year and the dead civilians, just a number to deny. How often do we think about the suffering of those still alive?.

I don't even know if this painting is what could be considered "good", (I had my doubts about posting it) but I just had to say something. Will it make a difference? to me, it did... will it, for someone else? I don't know. But when I saw the news on CNN that morning...I just had to say something, because even if no one listens, a least I know I raised my voice.

1 comment:

karen zima said...

Hello Marilyn,
First of all I want to tell you that you have some beautiful works of art on this page along with a very nicely setup blog.
I liked the very top painting and wanted to comment on it. The style is very "Van Goghish" and well done. I like the fact that you paint to music. So do I for that matter. I've never heard the song, "The Stars" by Caramelos de Cianuro, about love and finding a soul mate. As far as believing in a soul mate, I think this would be a great topic for discussion along with this painting.
First of all what is a soul mate, and why do people search endlessly trying to find that person? What about the people that find several people in their lives and each time they swear this is the one, and it turns sour after awhile. Oh well, maybe the next one will be my soulmate! We all seem to have trouble in that area and go on some impossible hunt for the perfect love. Once we find it, if at all we have a hard time holding on to it. Why? Maybe that is because we are trying to hard and expect too much from our supposed, "Soulmate." I believe the real reason is because people don't really know what they are supposed to be looking for. Our perception of soul mates and love relationships are based on movies, television, books and fairy tales. Of course at first we have the butterflies in the stomach, the passion, the anticipation of seeing that person again. These are all wonderful feelings, but do they last? Some may last longer than another person's, but that part of a relationship will always fade. However, those things are not what makes a soulmate. To me, a soulmate to is somebody that gives me hope, courage and shows me a part of my life that is buried insde of my heart that is new to me.
I think that if people stop being afraid of getting hurt, having a fear of failure, a fear of not being loved, or being inadequate, they'd stand a better chance of finding a soulmate. They need to get rid of all the negative feelings and people in their life, and get to know themselves first, before they can even attempt finding their soulmate. Finding and keeping a soulmate means time and effort and alot of work. Too many think that if they find the right person, life will be grand. There will be no more hard times and conflicts in their lives. But, that's just not a REALITY.
I love your painting. I can see how the song inspired you to paint it. The results from the song turned out great. Maybe you can get a nice dialogue going here with other people on the subject of Soulmates with the painting that you created. It's an interesting topic for discussion. That's why I brought it up.
Happy Painting,
Karen