Friday, February 6, 2009

Orchid no 1


This is the first one I've done in my new working table. What a difference! I was able to sit up straight, work comfortably and not hurt my back in the process. For this one I used acrylic inks (I love them, they are so much fun, but permanent, so using them is a good way to learn how to turn mistakes into oportunities). Later, I finished off with some pastel (love Sennelier brand, the colors are so vivid and wonderful!!!). I did it on vellum paper, and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised, it holds the pastel very well.

I love panting flowers in winter, it reminds me that no matter how cold or icy, eventually everything will thaw and the world will wake up from it's icy slumber. I had been thinking about painting orchids for a while, too, their shapes are just mesmerizing to me, I could watch them for hours, the way their petals come out and bend, the way the central petal unflods to reveal the center, their long and elongated lines... I love them!

2 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Marilyn - This orchid is sooooo beautiful. Just gorgeous.

My studio clean up is coming along pretty well; hopefully I'll be done with it today so I can get to the fun stuff.

Anxious to see more of your orchids.

laura curran said...

I love the florals especially. They are meaty and grab you towards the painting. I like the pencil florals as well- Keep going- be bold!
Keep in touch- lets meet up!