Tuesday, June 16, 2009


"Far, far away from home
I have no one to watch the morning with
and to give me a shot in time
before my heart rots away
No one to warm up these cold bones, baby
.....
This winter was bad
and I think I forgot my shadow in some subway car"

From the song "Eiti Leda", by Seru Giran

This very, very sad, strange and beautiful song was sort of the inspiration for this piece. I wish I could have translated it all, but it's really long. Anyway, it's one of my favorites.

I usually don't paint a lot of faces, because I greatly struggle with them, but this time, I decided to take up some courage and go for it. It's not quiet what I expected, but I like it anyways...that's what matters the most, right?. I purposely used a very highly textured surface, mostly because it doesn't allow me to get hung up on every tiny little detail, and also because it's s much fun!. The colors were improvised, I wanted to see how crazy I could get with them, sort of as a contrast with her expression which is lonely,almost sad.

2 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

She definitely has a haunting quality. I like to the piece a lot. Good job! Nice to see more of your work again. :)

MarilynM said...

Thanks, Kathleen. It feels good to be working again. Maybe not as much as I'd like to,m but still, better than nothing :)