Sunday, June 29, 2008

Iris


I finished this on a couple of days ago, I was waiting for the paint to dry a little to take the picture and post it.

This is one of our plants in the front yard, the only irises on my block to bloom twice a year, in spring and fall. I took some pictures last year and had been toying with the idea of painting them (they are so delicate and voluptuous), but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to represent it faithfully. So, a year later, I took a deep breath and went for it!

I don't know why, but I do that a lot... I listen to that little nagging voice in the back of my mind ("you can't do it", "you're not good enough", "you're such a fake, who do you think you're kidding?") and chicken out. It happens when I'm thinking about submitting my work to a juried competition or a gallery, it happened before I decided to start this blog (took me months to make up my mind) and I hate it!!!.So, maybe I'll use this painting as a reminder to ignore that stupid little voice and go for it! In the end, it's just paint...I can always start over.

No comments: