Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sorrow, or the eyes of a blue dog



'I'll recognize you on the street when I see a woman writing 'Eyes of a blue dog' on the walls. And she, with a sad smile- which was already smile of surrender to the impossible, the unreachable- said: 'Yet you won't remember anything during the day'. And she put her hands back over the lamp, her features darkened by a bitter cold. 'You're the only man who doesn't remember anything of what he's dreamed after he wakes up'.

Excerpt from "Eyes of a Blue Dog", by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

This is another of my favorite pieces. Only after I finished it did I realize what it was really about: My favorite short story, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "Eyes of a Blue Dog" (Ojos de Perro Azul, in spanish).

The story is bout a couple of soulmates who can only meet in their dreams. They cannot touch, only talk to each other. They can't even remember where they're from. When she awakes, the only thing she remembers is that he tells her she has "the eyes of a blue dog", and as she goes searching for him, she goes repeating on the street, to everyone who will listen: "Eyes of a blue dog". Him, on the other hand, although he loves her, cannot remember what he calls her when he awakes.

It's a beautiful, sad story and I've always been moved by it. For some reason, this piece makes me think about what their good-byes must have been like, right before they awoke.

1 comment:

Livecreations said...

this is a beautiful painting, I hope they find each other when they wake up also :)