Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tales of the lost city


I did this one a few weeks ago, I hadn't posted it because, quite frankly, I wasn't sure I wanted to get political in this setting. I'm not writing this blog out of ideology, but out of love for art. That being said, something happenned yesterday that made it impossible for me not to talk about this particular piece.

I spoke to an old friend from high school yesterday who still lives in Caracas, Venezuela. Sadly, my country is going through a very rough couple of decades and things have gotten worse under the present administration (trying not to get too political, here...), a common practice in the last few years is what they call the "Express Abduction". Where hey pretty much abduct you or a member of your family for a few hours, while they take you to the bank, your house, etc to rob you of everything they can. As it turns out, my friend's baby brother (whom I've known since he was in 3rd grade) was almost abducted the night before last, as he was coming home from University. My friends (his sisters, their mother and their husbands) were upstairs in the apartment, and they heard everything. They didn't take him, but they did kidnap a neighbor, who was released later that night.

This story and many more far worse than this repeat themselves in my country every day, ever night, hundreds of times a day. Kidnappings, robberies, murder...and the sad part is that we've gotten used to it. No one in the government is doing anything, except deny the hundreds of murders that occur each weekend (they've actually forbidden relatives of the victims to give statements to the press). The only response of people when something like this happens is "well, at least they didn't kill you" (unless of course they did, in which case, you become another cautionary tale of what not to do or which places to avoid).

I'm so angry. Nobody should have to live like this!!!. So there you go, that's the story behind this painting. So, next time you area able to come safely home at whatever time of night you like and hug your family, remember to thank God (or the Powers that Be) for that privilege, and if you find it in your heart, say a prayer for the people of Venezuela, living in an undeclared war with no end in sight.

No comments: