Thursday, October 23, 2008

Nerve-wrecked


OK, I did it: I applied for a gallery (I still have to wait for their call for an interview) I'm really nervous, about it. I hadn't felt this anxiety in a looooong time (University, actually). This is the part I dislike the most about doing art: being evaluated. Drives me crazy!!!!. I haven't heard from them for the interview (of course not, I only sent them the form yesterday), and I start wondering how long it's going to take to hear back from them, or if they decided to "google" me (yes, I do show up when you write my name and "art" beside it...go figure), saw my web page (or this blog, for that matter) and decided it wasn't worth their time to call me back (I know in my mind this is probably not the case, but my inner paranoid won't listen to my brain!!!). So, here I am, anxious and expecting the worst (but secretly hoping for the best)...What to do? I guess I'll go paint my anxiety away...


On a happier (and more relaxed) note, I finally got in touch with the people from Whole Children, in Hadley, MA and donated a painting (the one shown above) for a fundraiser they're having on Nov. 15th. I didn't send the other one I mentioned in a previous post (see "Donating my Art"), because they were asking for smaller pieces, around 9"x11" and that one is around 16"x20", which is much larger than they were asking for. Instead, the one I dropped off today is 10"x16" (its a monoprint on rice paper), which is closer to the size they wanted. I usually work on much larger pieces, so I only had a very few paintings to choose from...anyways, they seemed happy I was donating the piece, and that's what matters. I hope the fundraiser goes well. I'm happy I could help.

So, off I go, happy but anxious, to the studio...it's going to be a long night...


3 comments:

Mark Landes said...

It' difficult for me to read art blogs/artists statements about themselves without a cynical eye (Virgo - should have been a critic instead of trying to paint) but my cynicism melted a bit with each frame on your blog. Fresh and true. Thanks. [I just noticed the first four letter of paint]

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Love this. What a wonderful painting to donate.

Nerves, self-doubt...I think that is ongoing. Let us know what you hear from the gallery.

I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason, so whatever the outcome (and I obviously hope you are accepted, as you deserve to be) there is something positive that will come out of the experience.

MarilynM said...

Thank you so much for your words of support! :). The gallery is receiving applications until November 24th, so I guess (and hope) they'll call after that date, but whatever happens, happens. I'll keep you posted, of course.