Thursday, October 2, 2008

Andante

Well...where do I begin?. This piece started as a creativity exercise. I wanted to paint something using hardware brushes (car detailing brushes, stuff like that). So, I started playing with the paint, very slowly. Once the background was done, I started looking through my drawings (yes, the ones I still haven't categorized, photographed or touched), and I found a pose very similar to this one, so I started developing, the shape, using a lot of paint and water. Finally, I used charcoal to give her a more defined outline (and features). The result is very surprising to me, because when I use this technique, I usually end up doing "nightscapes", but this time, this image appeared in my mind and slowly started to flow on the paper. I named her "Andante", because that's what it felt like while I painted her,very slow, peaceful, meditative... I guess this is a risk one runs when painting to music, right?. But I like it, because it loosens me up and helps me drown that silly little voice that keeps telling me I'm not good enough.

2 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Marilyn--

This painting is gorgeous.

So many artists I know, who I consider friends (you are among them), have this nagging little voice that tells them they aren't good enough. It's in my head too.

But you know what? We are! And you have talent and you are beyond good enough. How great is it that you are willing to explore your creativity and push yourself as you did with this work?

I applaud you and your talent. Great job!

Jared Kelley said...

Thanks for the encouragement on the new abstract paintings that I am currently working on. I visited your newly finished webpage and thought I'd place a link to it on my blog. I hope that you don't mind! stay in touch - Jared